Thursday, November 5, 2009

Hair

Hair!

First, I want to share about a new documentary that Chris Rock made called Good Hair. I have not yet seen it, but I cannot wait. Here's a brief description:
Director Jeff Stilson follows Chris Rock on this raucous adventure prompted by Rock's daughter approaching him and asking, "Daddy, how come I don't have good hair?" Haircare professionals, beautyshop and barbershop patrons, as well as celebrities including Ice-T, Nia Long, Paul Mooney, Raven Symoné, Dr. Maya Angelou, Salt n Pepa, Eve and Reverend Al Sharpton all candidly offer their stories and observations to Rock while he struggles with the task of figuring out how to respond to his daughter's question.

I have been learning a lot about Cecelia's hair. What products to use, what brush to use, how to part it best, how often to wash it. And, all though I feel like I'm just scratching the surface, I have also learned a little about black culture and hair.

To be perfectly honest, I was a little insecure about Cece's hair, at first. When she was about six months old, African-American ladies (particularly, one that works at our grocery store) started telling me that I "better start doing something with her hair". Up until that point, I was putting a headband in it, some days. Don't get me wrong, the ladies comments were not meant to be offensive, at all. They were very sweet ladies--they were just being matter a-fact. Thus, the afro-puffs were born. I learned how to do that, and they have moved farther down her head. The part is different now, and what used to take at least 30 minutes, now takes about 15. I also gave in and took some advice about letting her watch TV while I do her hair. So, every morning, Cece sits in her bumbo, and most days, she watches Sid the Science Kid as I do her hair.

In addition to the afro-puffs, I also sometimes let her have an afro (which is my favorite), but I part the front and clip it. From the little that I understand, that counts as still doing her hair, and I'm a good mom.

Well, I was in the grocery store the other day, and Cece was sporting her afro with the clip. She's very interactive, so she usually gets a lot of attention. A younger, black girl, who works at the store, was doting on her. She commented on how cute her hair was. I felt like a proud mom.

So, I ran into the same young girl today. She told me that she has not stopped talking about Cece's hair. She had a whole conversation with her mom about it. About how impressed she was with it (she didn't say it and she was very polite, but I think she wanted to say--this white women knows how to do her black girl's hair). I was beaming! She said she had never seen hair done like that--with the part, clip, and afro, and she said she loved it! (Today, Cece had her afro puffs, and the girl like them also.)

Then, when I was leaving the store that girl said to the older black lady, "Look at her hair." The older lady is the one who told me months ago that I need to learn how to do her hair. She responded today with, "Girl! I told you! You go girl!!" And, lots of smiles!

All that to say, I'm feeling a little more confident; however, as I'm learning, being a mom is tricky, no matter what. Just when you start to think you've figure it out (I'm stopping there).

Just for fun, I put together this little video that shows Cece's hair, but sends the message that she should not be defined by it! (Nor should I!) There's also some pretty sweet breakdancing moves in there, enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. The lady at the grocery store couldn't have said it better....You go girl!!! You are doing a GREAT job at being a mom to CeCe. She is one very lucky gal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, the hair thing is just about to kill me!!!! I have tried every thing and then some. I was all set to see "Good Hair" and our theater had already dropped it! My girlfriends and I were so disappointed. Waiting for it to come out on DVD. I am trying to keep Bella's hair natural right now, as it is what she prefers. But it's HARD!!!!! May go seek professional intervention because her curl is SO tight and the she has SO much of it! Smile. Way to go with Cece -- she has looked darling since birth!!! Love you. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog post!! And the video...way too cute!! Oh do hurry up and get here...I just want to scoop Cece up and give her lots of "aunty" loves! Oh and I'll give you some too...LOL!

    ReplyDelete