Tuesday, April 24, 2012

happy birthday boys

When I think about where I was one year ago, I actually shutter a bit. One year ago this morning, I was "waking up" from a sleepless night in the ICU. I didn't really know how my babies were doing because I hadn't seen them except for a brief moment when I said hello to each crying baby after my C-section the night before. The cries, by the way, were one of the best sounds I had heard in all my life.
Gabriel Roland 4.96 lbs born 4.23.11 at 10:15pm.
IMG_4334
As I lay in the ICU lined with beds filled with other women, I didn't know when Brian would be coming, and I didn't know how long I would be waiting. All I knew is that I was in so much pain, and I just wanted to get to my babies. You see, what I didn't know then, is that they really don't do much for pain here in Central Europe. It's not like the states, where the goal is stay ahead of the pain. Maybe it was better that I didn't know that ahead of time! Finally, Brian arrived mid-morning; he had been navigating the NICU and trying to figure out how to get me to my babies! Brian showed me pictures of the boys, and he explained to me that I just needed to take a shower, on my own, to be released from the ICU. Can't tell how determined I was to get out there!
Untitled
Finally, I was released, and I got to see my boys. It was a little overwhelming, I must say, to see them all hooked up in the NICU, but I was so relieved that they were healthy, just needing to grow a bit! While the remaining time in the hospital seemed like an eternity to me then, here we are a year later, celebrating their first birthday.IMG_5467 IMG_5471

(Gabe)
IMG_5474
(Alex)
IMG_5476
(Gabe--he's never seen frosting in his life!)
IMG_5486
Alex trying to "help" Gabe! (Just to give proper credit, these gifts are from the Ellenwoods, not from us.)
IMG_5488
Cece looking at Uncle Mel--it's not my birthday, but THANKS!!
IMG_5501
All this to say, I cannot begin to tell you how thankful I am to God for all my kids! I truly believe that he redeemed two miscarriages by giving us our three kids in ways I never would have planned on my own. While I thank God, all the time, that my boys are alive and healthy, I often think of others who have lost children or whose children are having to overcome being born with problems. I praise God for the ways that He is working in this world to bring His Kingdom to earth, and I pray that I might be a small part of that!

4 comments:

  1. SO Thankful!!! Love your family! And, happy, happy birthday Alex and Gabe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious, precious family. Happiest of birthdays!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise Jesus! I can't wait to kiss all those kiddos so soon! Seriously. So excited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me cry. What a year. What boys. What a GOD.

    ReplyDelete