Wednesday, April 18, 2012

leadership lessons from Slovakia

I have read a lot about leadership. I've attended some really great leadership conferences, and I have listened to a lot of leadership podcasts. There is a plethora of advice on how to be a good leader. However, a few weeks ago, I saw something in Slovakia that demonstrated what I see as great leadership!

Brian and I went to Slovakia to check out KPM, an annual youth leadership conference. This year there were nearly 750 students who attended!
20120330_093543

During the Friday morning session, Peter Michalcik, a JV national missionary in Slovakia, began talking about an English camp ministry that he led several years ago. He talked candidly about what he thought of one specific member of the team, Jany Simocko (also a JV national missionary). I don't remember exactly how Peter put it, but he wasn't a fan of Jany in the beginning; however, over time, he began to really appreciate him and his contribution to the team. Eventually, he handed the ministry over to Jany.

Jany, then, came onto the stage. There was a moment of comic relief, and Jany took the microphone. He shared about the team when he was the leader and spoke candidly about a young guy that he eventually passed the baton to. As you may have predicted, this young guy come onto the stage, took the microphone, and he began to share about a young girl who was on the team when he led it. Now, she is the leader of this English camp ministry.

Here they all are, starting with Peter on the far right.
20120330_112146

To me, this is a priceless picture of leadership! I think leaders lead too long sometimes. There are others, right under your nose, who, if just given the opportunity, are also very capable of leading. It takes something very special to realize that you are not the only one who can do the job. What I love about this picture is that the baton was passed on, and the ministry is still thriving. Well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment