Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Community and Cooking

The other day, I watched this video that was posted on a blog that I follow: Nomad. The video stirred two things in me: one really important and one important in a different kind of way.



This video, along with a conversation that Brian and I had the other night, brought about a significant epiphany in my life. For the last year, I've been learning more about what this video is saying--more about living in community. Both in a very practical sense and a very deep sense.

When we lived in Charlotte, I felt like our life was much like this video illustrated at the beginning (church far away over there, live here, work far away over there, friends there, etc). Don't get me wrong, we had a great church, great jobs, and great friends--we just had to drive about 30 minutes to reach them (in a few different directions).

Now, I live in Frydlant nad Ostravici, Czech Republic. There are some things that are hard about that. Some are things better shared over a cup of coffee, but one of the challenges is cooking.

Stay with me, I have a few different points I'm trying to make here:). Cooking. The real truth is that I wasn't much of a cook in Charlotte, NC. I just don't love it. So, I'm more of a meal preparer than a cook. Well, then, I moved here and while things can be found, one has to be a little more creative and cook a little more from scratch. Not my things when it comes to that meal preparing thing.

So, I watched this video the other day. The true epiphany for me (which I discovered while talking to Brian the other night) is that this is more the life that I've always dreamed of having--this life, the one in Frydlant. That has a lot to do with the fact that Brian and I are doing ministry together, which is a level of really living life together that is truly incredible . It also has a lot to do with the fact that we are living in community. Church, work, shopping, and dear friends are all within walking distance (think Europe walking distance)!

Like I said, there are hard things about living overseas as a missionary, but I know one thing that I DON'T want. I don't want to look back at this time in my life and think, I was living my dream, and I didn't enjoy it, embrace it and really LIVE it.

So, how does this all relate to cooking/meal preparing? Well, I have decided rather than cry when I'm in Super Target the next time (well, actually there might not be a thing I can do about that), I'm going to LIVE life in my community and enjoy shopping here. How, you might ask? Well. I'm also hoping to get a little help from this great recipe app that I downloaded.

Jamie-Oliver-20-Minute-Meals-app

And, I'm going to shop at the local grocery store, doing my best to find the ingredients or being really creative--hmmm. So, Cece and I went on a walk to Albert today in search of the ingredients for Chile Corn Chowder.

IMG_0211

IMG_0213

How did it go? Well, I didn't find exactly everything I needed, but I think it will work. I'm making it tonight, so we'll see.

4 comments:

  1. Hey! I like this blog post! It makes me happy that you like living here. :) And you know what my mom and I love about shopping and cooking in Czech? That there is always this kind of HUNT and there are always joys and surprises to be found. Like when you go to the health food store and find boxed almond milk, or you find the "fake" maple syrup (the thick sugary kind :D ), or Dr. Pepper at a train station. It just makes life more interesting and...fun! Glad you found everything you needed for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this post too. I feel the same way about cooking. I didn't cook much back in the states, but there are definitely times I get overwhelmed at the thought of making dinner. Especially last minute. And when I flipped through recipes, I almost always pass the recipes that have something unavailable rather than find a substitute possibilities. I'm definitely happy to share good (and possible!) recipes with you when I find them. :) Way to "dig in" to life here! -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl...you did it. Tears. Why you wanna make me cry on a Tuesday afternoon? :)

    How wonderful that you are feeling so fulfilled and experiencing a sense of wholeness in your world. I couldn't hope for more in my own life as well as the like of friends! Thanks for sharing.

    And about the "meal preparing" once you start cooking...sister, it will come. Trust me! I was the same way and now I love to cook it up and it actually tastes good! Keep on truckin', A!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish Katowice was in walking distance....

    ReplyDelete