Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A glimpse of our future...

The family went to the Greenway on Sunday for a little hike to enjoy the weather (and to get a very restless dog out for some exercise). Daddy (that's me) used the Baby Bjorn for the first time. I wouldn't exactly say I was comfortable with it, but my daughter fell asleep on me and that was good enough for me. Oh, and Zory made her longest swim out in the lake ever - you haven't seen two prouder dog owners in the world. She is a horrible swimmer, so this is big news.

But that isn't the point of the post... The reason I am writing after such a long layoff is that our family was given a glimpse toward our future on Sunday.

As we started out on the trail (after Mommy used the restroom, of course), we ran into a family that was just finishing that stage of their hike. I wasn't paying full attention (Baby Bjorn issues), but I heard the guy say - Hmm, that looks like us 6 years ago. I looked up and saw this beautiful transracial family of 5. The mom was standing next to her 6 year old African American daughter and was beaming at the sight of us. Off in the distance their other adopted child - an African American boy - was playing with their biological child, who appeared to be about 2 years old. While we shared each other's stories (which is a requirement as written in the Adoption handbook) I couldn't help looking over and watching these 3 children laughing and playing together. I realized that this is what our life would be like - a glimpse toward the future that God so firmly planted in our hearts almost one year ago. That thought has stuck with me all week and has made me smile every time. Just as with the hike, our little family is starting a journey that this family has already traveled - and the future looks so wonderful. Pretty cool when God surprises you like that, isn't it.

By the way, Cece smiled and laughed with me last night while we had some alone time together... so pretty much I am the coolest.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for you guys. Thinking about your new "family" makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete