Thursday, September 4, 2014

preschool apps my kids are into


The other day I was texting with my brother, Rollie, about education. (He teases me sometimes about stuff, and I get sucked in.) I was sharing with him about how even though I have a masters degree in literacy, on that day, I had downloaded an app on the iPad, stuck my kids in front of the TV, and mirrored the app onto the TV. I called it learning time.

The funny thing is that ever since, I've seen Cece using some of the concepts she learned from the app to help her read. While screen time is no replacement for actually reading books, I'm finding that some educational apps are engaging to my kids, and they are learning something from them. So, I thought I'd share which ones we're into right now.

Endless Reader
This app introduces sight words. Kids drag the letters of the word to their proper place, and then the word is shown in a sentence with a little animation to illustrate it. It's very interactive, and my kids are into it right now. It's free, but then to unlock most of the sight words, you need to pay. Definitely worth trying out.

I was a bit skeptical about this app. The app is a bunch of videos of Mr. Thorne teaching letter sounds and modeling sounding out words. For some reason (maybe his British accent), my kids are really liking him, and it's helping Cece sound out words in her just right books. It's not very interactive, but hey, if it works.


My sister-in-law told me about starfall.com a few years ago. My kids have been using this app for a long time, and I think it's great for learning letter sounds. The little songs that go along with the sounds get stuck in my head even!







No comments:

Post a Comment