Thursday, January 28, 2010

Missionary Training International

Here's a little glimpse into what we are learning and experiencing at MTI. MTI is what Josiah Venture requires all MIT (missionaries in training) to attend. It has exceeded our expectations in what we are discovering about ourselves and how we feel God is preparing us to move to the Czech Republic to serve with Josiah Venture:

When I first arrived, I was not excited about learning the Czech language at all (having a lot to do with mourning not learning Polish). Now, I cannot wait!

Brian and I discovered through the language learning activities that we learn well together. (We're both a little competitive, but it works well for us). In fact, we got invited to our language-helpers' house for dinner. We were the first ever in the program to be invited over for dinner by our language helper.
IMG_2568

Brian and I learned that we have very different conflict management styles! Good to know after five and a half years:), but I really understand why he does some of the things he does (meaning, it's not wrong, just different from me).

I should have listened to Brian about letting Cece nap in the nursery days ago. Not only is she not screaming when we drop her off anymore, she's walking there (yep, walking) on her own. When I ask her if she wants to go to class, she shakes her head and says, "yeah!" Then, today, she took both naps just great in the nursery (instead of me picking her up, putting her down in our room, and listening to her on a monitor).

Both Brian and I were challenged today regarding healthy Sabbath rest.

Cecelia is having a great time with the kids here--they just love her! I am officially "Cece's mommy" and not Aleisha anymore.
IMG_2560

I was challenged through our personal coaching time that I need to be passionate about making sure that Brian has time for himself.

"How many people do you think about when you buy a toaster? How many people will come into consideration when you buy a toaster as a missionary?"

I handle stress better than I thought--like having a pillowcase over my head in a role-play (I was keeping my eye on the "bad-guy's" fake gun the whole time. I totally would have kicked it out of his hand if it were real life.)

I found out that Brian thinks I'm strong. Brian got a little testy with this one guy that tried to argue with him about why he should be "executed" (in the role-play) and not Brian. The guy tried to argue that his wife was stronger and could handle it better--Brian strongly disagreed.

Brian is really good at foosball.

I really like good coffee.

It is interesting because a lot of this is about us, but in so many ways, it will be important for us to know and respond to these things about ourselves to maintain longevity in ministry.

IMG_2563



1 comment:

  1. I know that I don't know you guys really well, but I have great anticipation of the times that we will share together! Glad to hear that you are almost a month from touch down! Bring a coat!

    ReplyDelete